Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Girls in Glasses

Earlier this morning, I took a trip to the optometrist for my annual eye examination. It was pretty run-of-the-mill.... "Option one or two? Three or Four? Please identify these ridiculously tiny letters as I try to trick you with Z and 3, 5 and S." You know how it is.

As I expected, my prescription has changed yet again (I've been plagued with progressively terrible vision since the tender age of eight) which means my current glasses are about 3 prescriptions too weak. A blessing and a curse... poor vision, new glasses! I love that larger frames are becoming more popular. With vision as poor as mine, I need all the lens space I can get. Unfortunately, I think bolder frames tend to walk a thin line between sophisticated and outright ridiculous.

On the search for inspiration, I've pulled a few images of my favorite bloggers and lady-celebs who wear big glasses and wear them well...



Seriously, these ladies look great in their bold frames. Smart, feminine, with just a hint of quirkiness. I think one of the keys to pulling off this look is a slightly rounded frame with a subtle cat-eye corner. What are your thoughts on large glasses... yay or nay? Also, can I just reiterate my love for Tina Fey? I love her.  

I'm ordering several trial pairs from Warby Parker this week... I'm excited to have a few samples to try out. Maybe the look won't work for my face type, but I sure hope so!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Zooey Deschanel is my inspiration for life. I'm a big fan of the big glasses, because I'm a nerd. It's like all the things I've always loved are in style now. It's a great time in history.

Abbyblujay said...

i want to do the Warby Parker try on tooo! maybe i will. now haha.

also if tina wasn't married i... might ask her. in all seriousness.

Emily said...

i think glasses are super chic right now. i also need new ones, but i just haven't made an eye appointment. i like the idea of warby parker and looking cute, though...especially since my vision is at least -7.00. ugghh!

michael ann said...

yay for new glasses! can't wait to see which warby parkers you pick, i've been dying to try some out. i found for my face that thinner&wider rectangles work best, when they get too square i look super nerd, and not in the cute way, haha. also with a little bit of cat eye lift in the top corners you will ALWAYS look classy i think (you can tell i've gone through a couple pairs in my life... haha!)

Katherine Ross said...

@Abby - You totally should. WPs are like TOMS for the face. Seriously. And the try-on is completely free.

@Emily - Your vision is as bad as mine! I'm a little nervous that the lenses in the WP glasses will be coke-bottle thick, but they use polycarbonate so I'm sure it will be fine.

@Michael Ann - You're a pro! :) I've always had thinner&wider rectangular frames, too... but I've never really tried anything else. I think I'll have to do a little blog modeling and get everyone's opinions before I decide on a pair.

Keitha said...

I am also on the Warby Parker train....I've been debating trying the "try-on" and will live vicariously through you. Can't wait to see them!